Please check out my new RobDKelly.com blog for all these postings and much, much more. Thanks, Rob Kelly
March 6th, 2011 — Marketing
Check out Rob Kelly's 6 Easy Tools To Help You Name Stuff On The Web.
- When I attended the Social Currency CrunchUp, there was a panel of businesses (all local except one (Levi's)) whose members mentioned some tid-bits on how social media was working for them.
Curtis Kimball, The Creme Brulee Man
- Sells Creme Brulle, primarily in San Francisco and changes his location (a cart) regularly
- His customer Acquisition focuses on Twitter
- Has 14,100 followers) because it's so easy...a majority of my customers come from Twitter or from friends who are on Twitter.
- Doesn't have a fixed address because he doesn't have a permit ("Permitting situation in San Francisco is a nightmare.")
Dr. Robert Vaksman, Dentist
- "Nineteen percent of our traffic comes from Facebook Page (>100 fans)...and some of them are coming in to the
September 26th, 2010 — Leadership
There was a great interview of Jack Ma on Charlie Rose -- Ma is the Founder and Chairman of the leading Chinese Internet company Alibaba. Ma is clearly an evolved thinker. Here are some highlights:
An Internet CEO Does Not Need To Be Technical
- Jack Ma doesn't know how to code
- He says he uses the Web primarily to send and receive email and browse the Web
The Core Competency of Alibaba is Culture
- Grew from 18 to 20,000 people. We believe the customer is #1, employee #2 and shareholders #3
- Average age of employees is 26
- "It's the customer that pays us the money."
- "It's the employee who drives the innovation."
- Shareholders come and go (I'm
August 23rd, 2010 — Career Advice
If you're considering a new job, salary is of course important...but don't forget about equity (especially in Internet/Silicon Valley-oriented companies). Here are the simple questions to ask related to stock (I'm gonna keep this simple and limit discussion to stock options):
- Can stock options be part of my compensation program?
- How many stock options will be offered to this position?
- What are the total number of shares currently outstanding? (this allows you to calculate the % of the company you could own)
- What are the total number of shares that the company is authorized to issue? (this tells you what % of the company you'd own if they issued
August 5th, 2010 — Networking
Have you ever wanted to meet someone, even though you don't know them? Perhaps you read about them in a book or just heard that they were an awesome person. Here are some approaches I use to get to know a "desired connection" better. 5 Tips On How To Get To Know Someone You've Never Met